Commonly Asked “Poison” Questions

If you think your pet has ingested something potentially toxic or dangerous and seems normal otherwise, what should you do? First, stay calm! Not all exposure situations require an immediate trip to the clinic.

970.925.2611

What information will I need when I call in?

Your dog or cats age, weight and the number of animals involved

Is you pet currently showing any abnormal symptoms?

All information regarding the exposure: the agent or active ingrediant, the amount ingested or missing, the time-frame since exposure/ingestion. Examples include: How many pills are missing? How much of the package is gone? Is the whole tube plus the cap missing?
Have the product container/packaging available for reference. Collect any material your pet may have vomited or chewed.

Should I make my dog vomit at home?

Pet owner’s should never attempt to make their dog or cat vomit without first talking to your veterinarian. Under certain circumstances, you will be advised by your veterinarian to make your dog vomit at home. These are our instructions- you will need to call for a dose.
3% Hydrogen Peroxide, a syringe (no needle) or turkey baster, a measuring teaspoon
Squirt the hydrogen peroxide into the back of your dogs mouth using the syringe or turkey baster.
Typically vomiting occurs within 1-3 minutes.
If vomiting has not occurred within 5 minutes, repeat the dose. You can repeat this for a total of 3 doses.
If vomiting still does not occur, call AAH for further instructions.

Are there certain potentially harmful substances that pets get into more than others?

Prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drug: Human and pet OTC drugs, such as painkillers, cold and flu preparations and antidepressants can cause harmful effects to your dog or cat, if ingested. We recommend to never give your dog or cat any type of medication without first talking with your veterinarian. All drugs should be kept out of reach, preferably in closed cabinets above countertops.
Common household plants: Common plants such as lilies, azaleas, kalanchoe can be very harmful to your pet if ingested.
Chemical bait products: Those designed for mice, rats and other rodents. When using any rodenticide, place the product in areas that are completely inaccessible to companion animals.
Insecticides/ Insect baits:
Common household cleaners: Bleaches, detergents and disinfectants can cause irritation to the skin, eyes and oral mucous. Dogs and cats will often drools and salivate excessively after such ingestion. Other signs such as gastrointestinal irritation (vomiting and diarrhea) and respiratory tracts signs (drooling, gagging, wheezing) can also occur.

Location Hours
Monday7:45am – 5:30pm
Tuesday7:45am – 5:30pm
Wednesday7:45am – 5:30pm
Thursday7:45am – 5:30pm
Friday7:45am – 5:30pm
SaturdayClosed
SundayClosed